General MLM Industry Related Topics

Discuss any MLM topics that are not better suited to one of the other forums
+ Reply to Post

Fake it 'till you make it

by MLMJack » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:46 am

My friend Bob started a home based business in the advertising field.

He found a niche market with undertakers by designing advertising, decors, and images for funeral parlors. He started growing his business with referrals.

He found, early on, that these people, at least the ones he dealt with were a "stuffy" bunch. Image was important to them.

In spite of his stellar work, some hesitated to contract an image consultant who's office was in the laundry room of his small bungalow, and he had to move his office chair so his wife could load the washer.

So Bob designed his own image. He purchased two high quality used suits of clothing as well as a gently used Rolex. He leased a late model Mercedes and spent his advertising budget for season box tickets to the opera (where business proposals had a slightly different background music than the sound of the kids sneakers bouncing around in the clothes dryer.)

It was the ultimate "fake it 'till you make it"..wisely designed to remove the prejudices in Bob's prospective client's minds so they could focus on his talent.

.......and perhaps to fake out Bob's subconscious !

Like "Mach II with " his hair on fire.....my friend Bob, scripted his life. The script became the movie.

Bob created a great life, enjoying the material wealth, beautiful home ( with the 30' wine cellar ) and the personal satisfaction of having built a national reputation.

Can “fake it ‘till you make it” be an honorable business strategy.

Judge for yourself

MLMJack :ugeek:
MLMJack
Advanced Member

Re: Fake it 'till you make it

by Mike_Michelozzi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 pm

YES it can just fake it in an honorable way :D

TKDHMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by Gery_D » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:25 pm

It's not what you do, but how you do it and with what intention. Assuming a more professional image to offset perceptions is one thing. To use those props in order to substantiate claims of high pay and a successful business would be deceitful.

He could have probably done as well with a Lexus and a less expensive high quality watch but again it isn't what you have. It's how you use it.
Gery_D
Advanced Member

by serious » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Gery_D wrote:It's not what you do, but how you do it and with what intention. Assuming a more professional image to offset perceptions is one thing. To use those props in order to substantiate claims of high pay and a successful business would be deceitful.

He could have probably done as well with a Lexus and a less expensive high quality watch but again it isn't what you have. It's how you use it.

You're right Gery. There's a fine line between a "professional image" and being a phony. If you must do it, the Benz and the Rolex are the right symbols. A Lexus just wouldn't do it!
Ron Smith
Keeping it simple
serious
Advanced Member

by MLMJack » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 pm

serious wrote:
Gery_D wrote:It's not what you do, but how you do it and with what intention. Assuming a more professional image to offset perceptions is one thing. To use those props in order to substantiate claims of high pay and a successful business would be deceitful.

You're right Gery. There's a fine line between a "professional image" and being a phony. If you must do it, the Benz and the Rolex are the right symbols. A Lexus just wouldn't do it!

I was in love with the new Lexus brand in 1990 and recommended a LS400 to Bob as his "car to impress".

He told me "I know my clients, to fit in their world the image I need is Mercedes, BMW, Lincoln, Caddy......the Lexus isn't in that club yet." Bob was a savvy marketer. :ugeek:
MLMJack
Advanced Member

by derecocherry » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:10 am

I personally don't think you should fake anything but instead take people along with you on your journey. I think people want to see the real person. The struggles and the victories in business. This in my opinion makes people connect better with you. Just my two cents.
derecocherry