General MLM Industry Related Topics

Discuss any MLM topics that are not better suited to one of the other forums
+ Reply to Post

MLM is Harder Than Ever

by Mike_Michelozzi » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am

You won't hear this. People still want to sell the dream. Make it appear easy. Post platitudes and cliches they think will inspire and maybe get you to join them.

I don't care who listens to me or agrees. I continue to mlm with a company I joined twenty-two years ago.

So why do I say what I say that it's harder than ever? Because straight talking I see and hear indicates that. So does my experience.

People trust it less than ever and are not into network marketing for the most part. Nor do highly motivated entrepreneurial individuals not lean toward multi level marketing - they start companies. They may even start mlm companies. But do it - NO.

Personal relationships are fewer due to the Internet and social media. And generally social media doesn't make up for old fashioned face to face relationships.

Also people are more changeable than ever jumping from one thing to another as fast as they finger the iphone. Loyalty is at an all time low as wanting instant results is at an all time high. No instant results move on. You can't build mlm with that.

And on line the how-to-mlm are staggering and confuse people. Some is esoteric to the point of being way too confusing and technically problematic. Others are same old same old cliches and platitudes cloaked in new verbiage and graphics and video presentations.

Trust in the model isn't strong.

Millions of people join to buy and many with that dream to find the golden goose. Sales have slumped but are still clicking along. But over all mlm is harder than ever.

Thoughts?

TKDHMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

Re: MLM is Harder Than Ever

by robf1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:32 pm

You're right Hikin Mike. It is harder than ever. Or at least a whole lot harder than it was 15 -20 years ago. The industry has changed a lot. A lot more companies, the internet, ect. But is it still doable? YES! I talked with someone in Advocare in a parking lot last month who was fulltime after 4 years. The girl across from my daughter is making a VERY nice income with a jewelry company after a couple years. So hard yes, but it DOES work. In spite of what some people think. I beleive the days of the flashy lifestyles have faded away pretty much. Now people are just looking for a way to supplement their income, or replace their job income.Whatever income level that may be. I was talking to a fellow networker and friend this week.....if people would only see how simple it really is to make money with this. It's not complicated at all. People have made it that way, but it is so simple. Well, thats another post......

Rob
Last edited by robf1 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robf1
Advanced Member

by robf1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 pm

P.S. You're right.... there is no golden goose. It is called W-O-R-K and persistance

Rob
robf1
Advanced Member

by fajarsunan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:44 pm

robf1 wrote:P.S. You're right.... there is no golden goose. It is called W-O-R-K and persistance

Rob

MLM is a little bit different than other business. It needs more hardwork and persistance.

i think it would need a lot of time to be success in MLM business.
fajarsunan

by scottwilson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 pm

I still love the business, but attrition, autoships, and the high cost of some of the better products have made it tough for a lot of people to afford staying in the business long enough to make it. Now with that being said I think the US Markets do not look at MLM as the opportunity like we did a few years ago. The reason I say that is if you look at the top earners in many of the large MLM companies the top earners are outside of the USA. So this fact should give everyone hope that this is still a viable business model but the perceptions are very different inside the US versus outside the US.

Scott Wilson
scottwilson
Advanced Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Good comments from everyone and Rob you and Kathy [or C I don't remember] are looking good.

Best to ya.

TKDHikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by WarrantiesForLess » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:20 am

Great posts, thanks.

Sadly, all which you and others have posted is accurate, the industry has changed, the new generation has changed, the access to similar products have changed, the hype has ramped up, the scams have ramped up, every obstacle you can think of is absolutely working against the online home based businesses.

I commend anyone who has been with the same company for decades, truly amazing and you are probably the first person I have ever heard say this. So the question to everyone else is simple, how many years have you been with your company? Everything is changing when it comes to businesses and as we have all seen, retail mall type businesses are dying day by day, was in mall for first time in years to get a tool at Sears, I was amazed, the isles were all spread out to double the size with half the inventory I was usually seeing in the tool department. So sad to see these giants dying, Penney's, Macy's and Sears, they were the main anchors at every mall for decades. The list goes on and on for those companies which were main stays in malls for decades, can't even find a Radio Shack any longer in my area and since filing BR, like most have to survive, the future does not look bright for thousands more old familiar retail stores. Another clear sign of changing retail market, when was the last time you saw a new retail business pop up at local mall? Everything is going to online and the gorilla Amazon. Even Sam's club, the bulk outlet for Walmart closed dozens of warehouse outlets. Who would have thought even Walmart is hurting.

Bottom line, MLM is no different than any other business when it comes to difficulty levels as I see it, same issues, except MLM has a growing image of being a pyramid Ponzi which had been used to attack MLM companies for decades as the traditional retail tried to destroy the network marketing model as a threat to traditional businesses. So MLM is facing even more obstacles as the competition grows, while the bad press also rises. Just look at the battles the giants in industry have had to fight, Amway, Herbalife, who were big enough to fight the attacks, but the bad press that followed these attacks and then fights against false allegations still did a lot of damage to the industry. Herbalife attack was due to stock manipulation, it got real dirty, and the smear of pyramid was used over and over again. So people who never understood what a pyramid was now feel it is illegal, so this made it just that much more difficult for all MLM companies.

Like many, I started several traditional businesses over the years while always researching and staying on top of online businesses looking for the next trend or technology which had patent protection which is what I felt was only option for me. I had shifted all my effort to online businesses decades ago seeing the trend shift away from traditional retail businesses. Glad I did, I owned a travel agency for years, was a solid business, never got wealthy, but I enjoyed all the FAMS and traveled all over the world for next to nothing, so that was a business which income was not the main motivation. I sold it when I saw all these MLM versions start to pop up, and as I had trained many who wanted to work the travel business part time and passively, this format was modeled after network marketing. I had near a hundred outside agents when I decided to convert them to an online travel group of wholesalers, so selling my travel agency was the smartest thing I did in business, got out just in time. My main business was from IBM, then they went with national travel agency cutting out locals, so almost all of my friends in industry had to shut their doors. Sad, but this is just another example of how the industry is changing. Look at the travel industry now, dozens of consolidation wholesalers like Priceline, Hotel, Travago which is the king of consolidation now, so a local agency cannot compete of price any longer and are being squeezed out of business with very few who need the personal service of sitting in front of an agent in this online world.

Simply put, this is how I too see the industry changing and MLM is indeed much more difficult than it ever was. When it comes to supplements which most in MLMland promote, I don't know how they survive in todays ultra me too competitive market, so for those who have been in their nutritional companies for decades, my hat is off to you. I was with Herbalife back in 80's as I too am a health advocate through proper nutrition, but when the law suits started claiming deaths from their weight loss product, the hottest of their products at the time, I lost half my volume in just a couple months as the attacks killed that product. Amazingly Herbalife survived and thrived, but I let it go for it was only a passive business and I saw my income drop down to barely a thousand a month. It was looking promising having worked it only part time for a year, and then poof, it all vanished. Lesson learned, never work just one business. The same thing happened with a telecom I focused on next, hit six figures in second year, and poof, the pulled the network marketing division and were rolled out as Sprint. Another example of why I don't work just one business any longer, just too many potential issues can destroy even the best of businesses. I stopped looking at nutritional companies and the same thing happened in telcom and cell business, I don't think any exist in the MLM model any longer and there were dozens back when I shifted to technology over supplements. Another lesson learned, what was hot yesterday does not mean it will be hot today, never mind tomorrow.

Oh well, thought I would take the time to add to the great post by Mike, a long timer on MLM.com and a respected networker for sure. I congratulate him again for his long term success. I sincerely hope you have another 20 plus years of success. As these forums are also dying, is it sad since there is much to learn from other peoples experience in MLM industry. I remember when this started on AOL back in 80's, and I saw the power of the internet even before it went public. I was on many forums when internet was just for colleges in the beginning. My how things have changed, now you can't survive in any business if not using online marketing strategies. Just look at the new generation, they walk around like zombies with their heads buried in their devices. Simply amazing, and I question if this is a sign of even more obstacles for MLM as kids today have zero motivation, zero common sense, zero how to experience, other than texting and sending stupid pictures over their devices. Yes, I see troubled waters ahead, and without the drive and motivation most on this forum have demonstrated for decades, I can't even imagine any of these under 20 year olds ever becoming successful in the business world. I have seen it all, researched it all, and am still looking for that perfect long term business.

I am done with me too products, whether nutritional or technology based, it Is just too difficult unless patented and exclusive products. Those are rare, and in the nutritional arena, how many products are patented and fully protected and exclusive. Same with technology products, how many are patented and protected? Smart phones have taken over the world of communications, and kids today do not even watch television, they bury themselves in their devices for all their entertainment. I research everything, and when I see 60 inch Smart TV 4G for $500. while Apple iphones go for $1000., sure is obvious consumers are being ripped off on iphones. lol But hey, Apple created a cult like following, very smart, and very profitable for them, but even they are feeling the pinch as equal if not better competition is squeezing the bottom line. So this is just another example of markets shifting towards value more and more which makes it even more difficult since most MLM products are like Apple, overpriced. I can find specific nutritional products that replicate any MLM product for a fraction of price, same ingredients, that is the power of internet. Times they are a changing for MLM, and traditional retail, so who knows what the future holds for us online entrepreneurs? I focus on low cost to start easy to duplicate informational businesses which essentially teach you how to succeed since todays education system has failed our children. Most graduate college and are clueless about what to do in the business world, so sad. Live and learn, that is what we all have to continue to do.

Success to all,
BREAKTHROUGH NEW FORCED SUCCESS SYSTEM
http://FORCED-SUCCESS-SYSTEM.com
WarrantiesForLess
Advanced Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:32 pm

Everyone here read WarrantiesForLess post - excellent.

Thank YOU.

TKDHMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by Steve_Fazia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Mike_Michelozzi wrote:Everyone here read WarrantiesForLess post - excellent.

Thank YOU.

TKDHMike

Yes, he hits a lot of nerves. Tells it like it is (and was) for the most part. Mike, you and I are a dying breed in mlm circles, both having been with the same company for so many years! I know I would not have endured except for the fact that my company owns multiple product patents. Selling a me too product through the mlm business model just won't cut it in this day and age. Thankfully, the tide is changing.....

Steve
Steve_Fazia
Advanced Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes we are Steve.

Decades to go. :D

I agree with everything you say.

TKDHikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by RoyHancock » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 am

Mike, you are right about changing relationships. While the right products have always been important for residual income, they are more important than ever now.
RoyHancock
Advanced Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:06 pm

I agree Roy - and people are so fickle too - crazy world.

TKDHikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by Barefootpainting » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:01 pm

So many want quick and easy.

...ok so I signed up, when do I get paid!

No one thinks they should have to work and then those who start to generate some leads may be thinking they are on the path to success without continual follow up from them.

It's not just about the company following up with the leads as much as it is the sponsor who can develop the relationship as well.

With so many opportunities out there it can also get watered down and people may feel overwhelmed with which one to focus one..oh wait, yes you do need to focus on one for a while before you can up and join 10 of them and water yourself down and think everyone is going to follow you all over as well.

Dave Gardner
Are you ready to shrink your gut and fatten your wallet while growing your subscriber list to 50,000 members? Just click here>> "Now Lifestyle"
Barefootpainting

by ez4you » Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 pm

[quote][/quote]

First, I want to say that I can understand where you are coming from. Second, I want to say it is because it used to be easy to do network marketing based on hype alone. Now, we need to do it the right way! It used to be that you could post an hyperextreme ad and people would jump at the get rich quick scheme. Now, people need to trust you. This breeds a whole new way of prospecting. It is called "Attraction Marketing." Although attraction marketing has been around for years many people just don't take the time to learn how to use it properly. There are people and companies who are willing to teach the principles of attraction marketing but you come up to another wall. They think everything should be free. They confuse business with job and on the job training with education. When you start a business you pay for it to get off the ground. When you go to work for someone, they had to pay to get their business off the ground. They pay you what they want to pay you while they get rich. This is the difference between starting "your own" business and working for someone else. It has been said that you are either an entrepreneur, or you work for one! The choice is yours! Do you want to invest in your business and in your future or will you give your time to invest in someone else's future. One can someday make you wealthy while the other you are making someone else wealthy. Who do you want to make wealthy. You or someone else? The old saying is it takes money to make money! That is still true today! As far as the education part of this is concerned, when people want to get a career, they go to college so they can learn how to be successful in their area of career choice. The problem is too many people are dishonest and they tell people just pay $25 to join and you will be making $20,000/month in just 90 days. While that might be possible, nobody wants to teach them how to do that. That is where many of these network marketing coaches and courses come in. I have one that I subscribe to. It costs me $49.99/month but they offered me a trial for $10 for ten days. It totally revolutionized the way that I saw network marketing. I have steadily been becoming this person that I would want to join. It is all about value. You solve their problems and then they will want to pay to join you so that they will have someone worth following who can show them how to overcome their obstacles. They are looking for someone to follow. The problem is trust! You must give them something to believe in. You must BE someone to believe in! Jim Rohn has said, Success is attracted to the person you become! Are you becoming an attractive person? Are you becoming someone who they will want to follow? You can grow into a leader that they want to lead them! You need to learn how! If you are interested in learning how let me know.
ez4you

by easycash4u » Wed May 23, 2018 4:11 am

I agree with that statement, have started my first mlm biz 20 years ago, but some bad things in this market have never changed at all. one of that bad things are: 99% are telling lies about theire business. Read all the headlines in the mailer and TE,s, like:
10K/month made simple
Earn $30 000,00 within 12 months
How To Make $2,621.17 In The Next 7 Days...YES YOU CAN!
Turn $99 into $4095 Weekly RESIDUAL INCOME!
$7,000 in 2 Weeks**FREE Survey

This statements are one of the biggest lies and completely "BS" !
Why not tell people the truth?
Tell them the truth what it takes to earn extra income, if they decide not joining your biz, do not care, it saves you a lot of time and headache,work only with people who are ready for a life change. I rather have 2 people in my Team, who are willing to work and bring in a lot of effort, than 20 people waiting for fast cash, without doing nothing.

Kind Regards

Gerhard

PS: If you find any typos, please keep it! Sorry, english is my 2nd language. Thanks
THE most newbie friendly MIRACLE program >>EVER!<< Click HERE!
easycash4u