General MLM Industry Related Topics

Discuss any MLM topics that are not better suited to one of the other forums
+ Reply to Post

The MLM Industry...

by robf1 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:18 am

I have been involved in mlm/network marketing for about 30 years or more. I have had some moderate success back in the day, but things have changed. I have noticed a lot of people, many who used to be right here on mlm.com who were once "players" in the industry, and once full time, now have jobs and dont do a lot if any network marketing. The day of glitz and glamor have faded away. I have some friends who were once earning HUGE bucks, now struggling to get another opportunity off the ground or took a job because their company canned them or whatever. Kinda sad....... although maybe good. I beleive mlm was originally intended to allow a person to earn some EXTRA income. Maybe an extra $200 - $500 a month. Which would be helpful to a lot of people, But along the way, the industry got exploited and became what it wasnt intended to be, and now with the help of the internet, here we are. Comments ??

Rob
robf1
Advanced Member

Re: The MLM Industry...

by scottwilson » Sun May 27, 2018 4:34 pm

It clearly is the reputation that MLM has gained in the USA. All of the meetings that I used to get invited to many years ago that people used to blindly get us to attend only to piss people off because it was just another hyped up MLM, all of the people secretly cross recruiting the leads you brought into the downlines and many other shady things that bad people did back in the 80's and 90's just exploded 1000 fold when the internet allowed for our inboxes to be loaded with 5 to 15 different offers a day.
The only time I was able to make a full time MLM income was back in the mid 90's, I led my group by doing fax blasts by the thousands for leads and taught others how to follow up and talk to others on the phone to describe the business, then sell and info pack of details for 5 to 10 dollars to cover the cost of sending tapes, samples, and brochures that was refundable if not interested so you would have that one last chance to convert them on the phone to sell them with the marketing material in front of them.
The MLM model still can make people good money because if you look at other countries outside of the USA that is where most of the leaders are in most of the larger MLM companies. Americans now want to build our business strictly through email, text, apps, and websites. The art of the conversation has left the building in the USA because so many of the younger generation have poor people skills and the older generation no longer wants to grind the phones every night after a stressful day of work.

This is just my thought on the problem of building a MLM business in America today. I would like to hear if anyone has seen this happen in their business if your trying to build in the modern technology days.

Scott Wilson
scottwilson
Advanced Member

by Steve_Fazia » Tue May 29, 2018 8:28 am

Yes, Rob and Scott. It seems some of us old-timers have been busy reflecting on what is wrong with this industry these days! I see a common theme in these type threads. We talk about how it was 'back in the day'. Hmmm, that day would appear to be pre-internet. I know the mid-90s was when I built my biggest group, and not one distributor or customer came from online efforts (I did not own a computer at the time). It was belly to belly, one on one, weekly meetings, direct mailings, phone calls, etc. The product worked and the methods worked. Remember the ole cassette tapes? They flat out got results. People tried the products and became hooked, then told others. It grew, momentum was built, meetings provided validation through testimonials, newbies wanted a part of this thing called network marketing. Where has all this gone?

I believe people are now hiding behind computer screens. They chase the latest shiny object, then try to hype as many folks as possible into the super-duper pre-launch, then simply hope once it launches that someone will do something! Rarely happens. So they're on to the next big thing, repeating the cycle. Sadly, most never even speak to anyone on the phone, much less in person. The process is very impersonal and creates zero loyalty. I see the internet as a double edged sword with vast marketing potential, yet sadly lacking at fostering personal relationships that sustain a thriving network marketing organization. Most will only repeat this cycle a few times before they're gone from the industry. Sad but very common.

Perhaps leaders in our industry need to step up and reincarnate some of the methods used way back when. I actually enjoy meeting people one on one; since retiring from the hospital last year, I've done a lot more of this. It brings back memories of how it was in the heyday! Try it, you may be surprised :)

Bottom line, technology has certainly changed the industry. Perhaps we have not adapted well as distributors. Maybe the internet should be a backup or support tool, not the main marketing method. I don't know. But it's good to have these types of discussion. But it's definitely weighing on a lot of our minds these days. (I even started a thread early in the year about NM being at a crossroads) http://mlm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50685

In closing, I like what Rob said about the industry being a vehicle for people to earn an extra few hundred dollars a month. In my most successful years, I had a ton of people in my organization doing just that! Maybe there's just too much emphasis on the big money. I heard a leader recently ask the rhetorical question 'are you money driven or purpose driven'? If network marketers would latch on to a cause, a higher purpose, some positive experience rather than focusing on $$, then the industry may start to grow again.

Look forward to reading others thoughts on this important subject....

Steve Fazia
Steve_Fazia
Advanced Member

by robf1 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:28 am

Right on Steve and Scott.

Rob
robf1
Advanced Member

by scottwilson » Tue May 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Steve, I agree that the first person to look at when things are not going well is the person in the mirror. However I have tried marketing with postcards, both offering free information packs and 5 to 20 dollar info paks with samples and brochures to have a follow up discussion with the prospects, I have tried funnels, I have tried drop cards, I have tried direct mail, I have tried ads, I have tried bulk email, targeted email, phone burner, and just striking up conversations with people I think are great with people to build relationships with. The only thing I have not tried is building a LLC team members and work together as a team to create the real vision of teamwork where only a team gets credit and not one individual. However you still have dream stealers that put stinkin thinkin into prospects minds before we get a chance to teach them what will happen. I think a teamwork approach might be the one last chance at creating a unity with a cause greater than yourself. We must find a purpose for others to want to be a part of too change peoples lives in order to change MLM into a team sport instead of a sink or swim sport thats done on your own. When that happens we can Make MLM Great Again!! I this may not sound good to many people but I think a great team of 3 to 5 dedicated pros to do so great things.

Scott Wilson
scottwilson
Advanced Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:10 pm

I've been with our company since 1996.

Until 2010 my wife and I worked non stop and built up a sizable network of consumption and business builders and income earners. Many quit which had nothing to do with the company.

Our checks are not what they were for those years but neither have we been working like we did then. We still work off line anf on and that gives us a home based business tax advantage.

Monthly checks between $1,000 and 2,000 still have been deposited into our account since 2010. That's not bad considering the effort we put in today.

Helping people get started on our products is our focus. So is helping people earn a few hundred dollars a month and up. If you can earn $300 - 500 monthly part time that's a good thing.

We look forward to the next twenty years with our company - then I'll be ninety-two and if I also stick with TKD that I started at age sixty-seven I should be eighth or ninth dan - black belt. That would be cool too.

TKDHMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by chuckholmes » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Mike_Michelozzi wrote:I've been with our company since 1996.

Until 2010 my wife and I worked non stop and built up a sizable network of consumption and business builders and income earners. Many quit which had nothing to do with the company.

Our checks are not what they were for those years but neither have we been working like we did then. We still work off line anf on and that gives us a home based business tax advantage.

Monthly checks between $1,000 and 2,000 still have been deposited into our account since 2010. That's not bad considering the effort we put in today.

Helping people get started on our products is our focus. So is helping people earn a few hundred dollars a month and up. If you can earn $300 - 500 monthly part time that's a good thing.

We look forward to the next twenty years with our company - then I'll be ninety-two and if I also stick with TKD that I started at age sixty-seven I should be eighth or ninth dan - black belt. That would be cool too.

TKDHMike

Nothing wrong with helping people benefit from the products and make a few hundred extra dollars per month. That isn't all that hard to do, especially if someone is product focused. Good health products and a few hundred dollars per month would probably benefit 97% of the population. If you could teach someone how to make even $300 per month and then they used that money to get out of debt, and then invest for their future, they could do really well over a 20 to 30 year period of time. Making the big bucks in our industry, and keeping it, takes an incredible commitment that most people aren't willing to do.
Learn How I Recruit 10-20 MLM Reps Every Month!
http://www.526biz.com
chuckholmes

by chuckholmes » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:49 pm

robf1 wrote:I have been involved in mlm/network marketing for about 30 years or more. I have had some moderate success back in the day, but things have changed. I have noticed a lot of people, many who used to be right here on mlm.com who were once "players" in the industry, and once full time, now have jobs and dont do a lot if any network marketing. The day of glitz and glamor have faded away. I have some friends who were once earning HUGE bucks, now struggling to get another opportunity off the ground or took a job because their company canned them or whatever. Kinda sad....... although maybe good. I beleive mlm was originally intended to allow a person to earn some EXTRA income. Maybe an extra $200 - $500 a month. Which would be helpful to a lot of people, But along the way, the industry got exploited and became what it wasnt intended to be, and now with the help of the internet, here we are. Comments ??

Rob

Times have changed. I see a lot of companies and top earners stuck in the 80s. While many of the things they did back then worked great, they no longer do. It's not that home parties and face to face prospecting don't work, it's just that most people, especially the younger generations, don't want to do those things. I'm 41, and if I had to do those things, I wouldn't be in our industry.

The people who have embraced social media and online marketing, and mastered their skills, have done quite well in our industry. The problem is, the average person will never figure out online marketing, even if they tell you that's how they want to build their business.

I personally believe MLM is a GREAT part-time gig, for the personal development, friendships and tax advantages alone. Most people would benefit by participating in this business model. And if more people were product focused, and serviced 3-10 customers each month, they could make a nice little part-time income.
Learn How I Recruit 10-20 MLM Reps Every Month!
http://www.526biz.com
chuckholmes